Fedora Core 8 and dvd::rip from freshrpm's problem

François Patte francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr
Sun Apr 6 10:52:26 UTC 2008

Le 01.04.2008 05:13, Scott (angrykeyboarder) a écrit :
| Joseph L. Casale spake thusly:
|
|> After a clean install of fc8, a full yum update, I then add freshrpms
|> and install dvdrip. I then setup a project, rip the dvd, but the preview
|> fails. I have searched their forum and found some issues but it seems
|> non apply, there is no actual error other then that the file isn't
|> created?
|
| Uninstall it and then Use the livna repo[1] instead of Freshrpms.

Where is dvdrip in livna repo?:

# yum --enablerepo=livna install dvdrip
~ * livna: rpm.livna.org
~ * fedora: ftp.uvsq.fr
~ * updates: ftp.uvsq.fr
~ * texlive: people.redhat.com
livna                     100% |=========================| 2.1 kB
00:00
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
No package dvdrip available.
Nothing to do

Works with freshrpms though. But there is some conflicts while
installing all these dvd related packages: kino, cinelerra, dvdrip.
Every install fails on some dependency problems, something like:

Error: Missing Dependency: libquicktime.so.0 is needed by package kino
Error: Missing Dependency: libquicktime.so.0 is needed by package
mjpegtools-libs
Error: Missing Dependency: libx264.so.56 is needed by package ffmpeg-libs

And the solution is strange:

# yum remove ffmpeg-libs

remove a lot of packages (kino, cinelerra, and some others)

Then install what you want, say dvdrip. Then reinstall kino, cinelerra...

You can make a circular permutation: want to install kino: conflict is
there, remove the two others (with dependencies), install kino, then
reinstall what you had removed... No more conflicts, until you want to
install a fourth one....

I don't understand.

- --
François Patte