Fedora Mirrors Wanted

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Mon Apr 7 15:37:51 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 23:36 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:00:02PM +0530, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
> > But you should ensure that Fedora project checks that new mirrors have
> > at least 25 Mbps connection. For instance, the mirrors mirror.wbut.ac.in
> > is very slow. As you know that some speed is lost in the distance the
> > data has to cover. This mirror is located in West-Bengal, North-East of
> > India. I am living in Maharashtra, South-West of India. The distance
> > would be around 3000+ Kms. I get a speed of 4.5-7 Kbps speed on my 128
> > Kbps connection with these mirrors while with any other US/Eur Mirror, I
> > get 15-30 Kbps.
>
> We have very few mirrors in India to begin with.  While we generally
> request mirrors have 100Mbit or faster connections, we will make
> exceptions for areas where we have few mirrors and where we have had
> little luck finding volunteers to run faster ones.
>
> Matching users to mirrors based on country isn't perfect, and I'm
> always open to better algorithms.  I recently added a lookup for
> clients and mirrors connected via Internet2 or one of its peers.  If
> someone can describe how to better guess the network topology, exactly
> for cases such as yours, I'm all ears.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
> Fedora Mirror Wrangler
Hi, Matt,
	Maybe you could finagle an angle with one or more of those speed meter
sites?  Maybe the mirrors would or could run a speed meter application
accessed by the RPM software to assess speed prior to establishing the
connection.  Something like a quick burst to check 3 or 4 sites then
choosing the best one?

Regards,
Les H