kdenlive on fedora? (best video editor missing from fedora)

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Mon Apr 7 19:43:00 UTC 2008

On Monday April 7 2008 3:10:15 pm Valent Turkovic wrote:
> I would understand that kind of comment from somebody who
> doesn't use and video tools - as you suggested a BLAG
> maintener. But when I heat it from Dan Sawyer who is a Linux
> writer and does professional video production then that is
> completely different story. He did claim that you need to
> compile kdenlive from source in order to make new features
> work because in older releases you couldn't even separate
> audio from video. Also video framework MLT that kdenlive uses
> has gone through mayor changes in past few months.
> BLAG linux is over year old and stuck at fedora 7 release so I
> wouldn't give them a look if they don't plan to update to F9.
>
> So I would love to try for myself and see how kdenlive looks
> and works. If a linux video professional says that kdenlive is
> great I guess he knows what he is taking about because he is
> putting his money where his mouth is and using it in
> production.
>
> I have been to cinelerra workshop and love it! But I would
> also try other tools if somebody packages it for fedora.

You're making many claims. Do you know Jeff Moe? BLAG
deliberately stays behind Fedora by a version for solid reasons.
It tries to be a slighly 'late' Fedora that just works, and it
features compiled versions of many A/V programs that aren't
available elsewhere - that's changing now, but, they were in
front of the curve in many areas for awhile.

I don't know Dan Sawyer so I can't speak to him, but there are
many Linux video writers and many claiming to do 'professional
video production' -- if he claims he's doing professional video
on Kdenlive, I would like to see that, but until I do...

If you're keen to try kdenlive, why don't you package it
yourself? There are some very straightforward instructions here:
http://tinyurl.com/5psknr
see the table of contents at the bottom

--
Claude Jones