Punch Cards.

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Tue Apr 8 02:06:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 20:42 -0400, max wrote:
> Da Rock wrote:
> >>>
> >> Or just want to get out of warranty... there was an article (Slashdot
> >> IIRC) about HP voiding warranty on laptops converted to Linux, even
> >> though they sell similar models with Linux installed. Never checked it
> >> out, don't care, but I assume it's true.
> >
> > No, they don't sell them at all with linux- except maybe on their server
> > line. And yes, they refuse to fix them unless Windows is installed. Got
> > 2 laptops myself and have this problem everytime I ring up- it wont boot
> > at all- must be the wrong OS installed because POST fails...
> >

> I can't believe a company like HP would lay that nonsense down as policy.
> Absolutely insane. Funny thing is my current workstation was headed for
> the trash heap. Supposedly a hardware problem. It would blue screen
> within a twenty minutes of getting to the XP desktop. Reinstalling
> windows and updating all the drivers didn't work. Gotta be a hardware
> problem but lo and behold I loaded F7 , since upgraded to F8, and she's
> purring like a kitten ever since, been runnin for months, gotta be a
> year or so by now. I fully expect it will live to upgrade to F9 and
> probably 10. There have been a couple of other PC's come across my bench
> like that too.
>
> Max

Probably memory or similar. If you start getting issues in Windows soon
you'll see probs in *nix.

Before the POST issue mine was overheating- must be *nix! They tried to
tell me that the bios and drivers had to be updated to fix the problem.
Meanwhile the drivers hadn't been updated since well before I installed
*nix. I copied the page with all the driver updates plus the install
date of my *nix system and took it to Fair Trading. Needless to say I
won.

Next issue is I bought HP extended warranty - pick and return - and the
service agent tells me that unless I box up the unit properly for a
courier their not legally responsible! I've told them time and again
that once I call and the unit leaves my hands in any way that it no
longer is my responsibility- its theirs. But still they get agro if I
tell them I can't find a box to put it in. I'd LOVE to see them in court
trying to hold that up...