Punch Cards.

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Tue Apr 8 02:09:55 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 21:03 -0400, max wrote:
> Da Rock wrote:

> >> I have heard similar stories. Recently I bought my better half a new
> >> laptop. I went around to the usual stores and point blank told them
> >> that Windows would last long enough for one boot just to make sure the
> >> thing was working before I wiped the harddrive and flashed the bios.
> >> They told me they wouldn't honor any warranty on the hardware if the
> >> original OS was not there. Needless to say they didn't get the sale. I
> >> called Dell and told them that since their Linux offerings were so
> >> weak I was going to get an XP laptop and wipe it off to install Linux.
> >> They told me they would honor the hardware warranty regardless of the
> >> OS. Sold. Now she's happy and so am I.
> >
> > Is there any success in getting Dell to sell hardware without the OS?
> > They don't sell the linux systems anywhere but the US.
> >

> They wouldn't sell me one with no OS but they are willing to support the
> hardware which in my book is just as good and no less than they should
> do anyway.
> I think in the future they may offer blank hardware but they'd find
> someway to keep charging just as much so it really doesn't matter. I'd
> like to see Dell offer RedHat on a desktop , there are plenty of small
> businesses that would quickly jump on to save a few bucks, even with the
> cost of support(which they wouldn't need for more than a year or two)
> they'd save big on applications, the day is coming I think but not soon
> enough for my taste.
>
> Max

Indeed. Considering now M$ is no longer offering OEM which means costs
will go up...

On the blank hardware front- anyone know where to get notebook mb's? I
can find screens and chassis, but no mb. I asked AMD but they avoided
the question, and I don't really want intel. But at this point I'm
beyond caring.

If I can achieve this then I'll support blank hardware- any buyers here?