Punch cards

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Apr 8 22:12:12 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>I am not sure why it showed up under this subject but there appeared an
>attack on digital vs analog TV. I just bought an digital to analog
>converter for my TVs and there is no comparison to the picture I get
>using only rabbit ears.
>
>The digital output is clear sharp and without any of the interference
>with analog signals.
>
>The gotcha you have to depend on all the stations in your neighborhood
>are [producing signals of adequate strength in your area. PBS is
>currently not doing that. Although there are supposed to be converters
>with analog bypasses I have yet to find one.

Aaron: If you are calling my post an attack on digital, I didn't intend it to
come through that way, and what you say is true, but the signal distortions
and echos/ghosts that make analog fugly as all get out, will completely kill
digital.  And no amount of signal strength can fix that, the antenna must be
adjusted to cancel as much of that as possible.  That may not be, and very
often won't be, the strongest signal reading one can get on a field strength
meter.

Once you've done that, then the signal is as clean as when it went into the
encoder, and considerably more pleasant to watch.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)