Punch cards

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 9 15:00:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 15:03 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> I don't have a problem with digital- best thing since sliced
> bread for me.

Some people are just lucky.  Many more are not.

One of the things I did while training was a bit of work in a TV set
repair shop.  A great deal of their customers have rotten reception,
many of which will not do anything about it, and berated the staff for
not fixing their telly.  And there's plenty more that can't do anything
about it, because they're located in a reception shadow.  They had a map
on the wall shaded in different ways for different reception problem
areas, with a legend for the antennas needed to work in some locations,
and also some rather large blackspots where there was no solution.

> In fact I have trouble with analogue because I use a tv
> server- the adc doesn't work as efficiently, whereas digital is
> already mpeg.

Though is it in the format that you need?  It certainly won't be if you
wanted to record to a standard DVD that you could take around and watch
at a mate's place.

*Conversions* have been really annoying me over the last few days.  I've
spent about 8 hours copying someone's Super 8 film collection to video,
and some 16 mm, watching the original film quality disappear.  Then had
to deal with the issues of recording onto a DVD recorder (which isn't
compatible with all players), and having to convert that into another
disc that ought to work on all players.

FFS!  You'd think Bill Gates designed all this incompatible crap.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.