OT: Programming in C

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Apr 9 16:49:53 UTC 2008

Da Rock wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 09:39 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
>> max bianco wrote:
>>> I want to learn C and I know there are quite a few programmers on this
>>> list.  I am looking for a couple of good books on learning C. I am not
>>> exactly a beginner but I am no expert and i would like to start going
>>> over everything from scratch.  So if I could get some referrals to a
>>> couple of books I would greatly appreciate it. I am looking for a good
>>> thorough beginners guide to C and also something for the intermediate
>>> programmer as I expect to get through the former in fairly short
>>> order. I ultimately will be directing my efforts at kernel hacking. As
>>> always , any advice and or opinion is gratefully received.
>>>
>>> Max
>>>
>> I took a C course ages ago and I am trying to refresh my memory.  I have
>> found many tutorials on C on the web.  I am going through some of them
>> now.  I have already found a few that have errors in their examples or
>> examples that are incomplete.  Also, when searching, many of the results
>> would return C++ links instead of C links.
>>

> Could you post some of those web tutorials?

I am no expert on the quality of these sites.  I am just starting to go
through them.  I have come across a few that were restricted to their
local country or students.  (IP issues)  These are in no particular order.

This is the one I am looking at now and was open.  Lucky to be first I
guess.
http://users.bestweb.net/~ctips/

This one says Lesson 1: The basics of C++ but in the intro paragraph
actually says this if for C.

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c/lesson1.html

http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/C/
http://www.c-faq.com/
http://www.linfo.org/create_c1.html
http://www.deitel.com/ResourceCenters/Programming/C/CTutorialsandWebcasts/tabid/208/Default.aspx

Then there is Googles Code search.
http://www.google.com/codesearch

>> As I am using Linux and gcc, I want to focus on using these tools.  I
>> had Turbo C but it was a Windows 3.1 version.
>>
>> I need to learn C for working with microcontrollers for a few projects
>> that I that I am now working on.
>>
>> Now to dig through my boxes of books and find my C books, if I still
>> have them.
>>
>> Also, if you are going to use gcc, then look at the man pages for
>> compiler flags and linking libraries.  I came across this yesterday when
>> I was looking for a lint program.  Also you and type in man 3 {function}
>> to get more information on that function.
>>
>>    man 3 cos
>>

> Thats good to know. I'm starting to get into this myself (when I can
> scratch up some time... :) ), so it'll give me soemwhere to look.
> Someone mentioned it elsewhere, but I didn't realise it was that easy,
> or the man category to look for.
>
> Cheers

Neither did I.  Sure saves looking through books to find the information.

Hope this helps.
--
Robin Laing