'ls' hangs FC6

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Apr 9 18:33:00 UTC 2008

Mark Haney wrote:
> Does anyone have any ideas on why 'ls' would suddenly stop working? I've
> got a FC6 box that acts as a SAN host and for the last week or so I
> can't ls anything.  It sits and does nothing.  Everything else on the
> box works just fine except for that.

Networking hangs.  Is the ls trying to access something that does a
network access and its waiting for the appropriate timeouts?

> I've got no idea how to even go about debugging this.

I've seen it wait long periods of time doing "ls /" when the root
directory contains links to networked directories which are either on
machines which are no longer running or having problems.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net