problems with dial-up

Michael Klinosky mpk2 at enter.net
Wed Apr 9 20:36:00 UTC 2008

Mikkel:
> Do you have any other network interfaces?

No (just that one).

> If you have a default route set, then it is
> probably not going to be changed when the PPP connection comes up.

I didn't explicitly set the default route. Do I need to?

> If you can ping by IP address, but not host name, then check
> /etc/resolv.conf to make sure the name servers are being updated.

I didn't check a system that has a name (just my dsl-connected machine).
I'll try a named system.

Bruce:
> I don't know if the drivers have gotten better but when I used
> dial-up internet access with Linux several years ago, I had to get an
> external modem that I found in the Hardware Compatibility List (US
> Robotics, I think) before I could connect. I spent many hours trying
> to configure several Winmodems and never succeeded. Once I switched
> to a modem that was documented as being Linux compatible, it was
> easy.

I had that system on F6, and it worked splendidly. I breezed thru the
config (my first attempt at configging dial-up on linux!)

Then I upgraded to F8. Frankly, I think that something changed with
respect to dial-up (e.g. F6 didn't use wvdial).

The first time I installed F8 on that machine, I used the CD (which
didn't ask which packages to install - so I figured that it assumed I
was totally in the 21st century). This time, I used the DVD, and made
sure that I chose the packages.