FC6->FC7 Kernel Panic

Tod tod at stthomasepc.org
Thu Apr 10 01:17:39 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 15:49:19 -0400, Tod wrote:
>
>> I'm attempting to upgrade one of my servers from FC6-FC7 on the way to
>> FC8.  I followed all the recommendations including the disk LABELs, etc
>> and everything seemed to work.  But once I rebooted I got a kernel panic
>> because my /boot directory can't be found.
>>
>> I have two IDE drives both LVM managed except for a small boot partition
>> on the first drive.  I can boot back to FC6 just fine, but get the
>> kernel panic when I try the FC7 kernel.  My grub.conf looks like this:
>>

>> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
>> #
>> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
>> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
>> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
>> #          root (hd0,0)
>> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
>> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
>> #boot=/dev/hda
>> default=0
>> timeout=5
>> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>> hiddenmenu
>> title Fedora (2.6.23.15-80.fc7)
>>          root (hd0,0)
>>          kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.15-80.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/boot
>>          initrd /initrd-2.6.23.15-80.fc7.img
>
> root=LABEL=/boot  clearly is wrong. The kernel root= parameter specifies
> the system's root partition, but LABEL=/boot points to your
> /boot partition instead, /dev/sda1 = (hd0,0).

Yes my mistake, see below.

>> title Fedora Core (2.6.22.14-72.fc6)
>>          root (hd0,0)
>>          kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.14-72.fc6 ro
>> root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 hdc=ide_scsi
>>          initrd /initrd-2.6.22.14-72.fc6.img
>>

>> After the first time I booted I changed the FC7 kernel line, it
>> originally looked the same as the FC6 line.  That didn't help.
>
> That's strange.

I guess it would be if I could type.  The /boot label thing was just
wrong, I don't know where I picked that up from.  The original fc7
kernel line was:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.15-80.fc7 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
hdc=ide_scsi

... very _similar_ to the original fc6 line.

Its funny because the only thing that isn't volume managed is the /boot
partition, which is labeled.  My understanding was that LVM managed
partitions don't require labeling.

I also thought I read that all drives were now treated as SCSI drives.
With that in mind I tried removing hdc=ide_scsi to see if that would
make any difference.  That didn't really help either.  But I can still
boot up FC6 without a problem.

If anybody has any ideas I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks.