'ls' hangs FC6

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Apr 10 17:46:55 UTC 2008

Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org> wrote:
>> Does anyone have any ideas on why 'ls' would suddenly stop working? I've got
>> a FC6 box that acts as a SAN host and for the last week or so I can't ls
>> anything.  It sits and does nothing.  Everything else on the box works just
>> fine except for that.
>>
>>  I've got no idea how to even go about debugging this.
>>

> I have seen this on systems that are using LDAP for authentication.
> They don't just authenticate at start time, but they look up user
> information every time.  Every single time any command is run, the
> system goes off to check user identity on a server.  When there is
> network slowdown or server slowdown, then ls is slow.  For us, the
> short term fix was to install the nscd to cache the information so the
> system does not constantly look on the server.  The long term fix was
> to stop authenticating users with LDAP.

Or run "ls -ln" so you don't do user/group lookups and simply display
the numbers.

I think you said this stuff was on a SAN.  Have you verified that the
SAN isn't causing problems?  We had that issue on a cluster running old
LSI Logic drivers.  The SAN was getting freaked out because of command
overruns.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-             To iterate is human, to recurse, divine.               -