'ls' hangs FC6

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Apr 10 18:37:23 UTC 2008

Todd Denniston wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote, On 04/10/2008 02:06 PM:
>> Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> Or run "ls -ln" so you don't do user/group lookups and simply display
>>> the numbers.
>>>
>> It must be something with the user/group lookups then because an ls-ln
>> works just fine. I just can't figure out /why/ it's a problem now.
>
> does the ls which hangs, output SOME of the info before it hangs?
> perhaps something like the following could be useful...
>
> for i in *
> do
>    OPTIONS_THAT_HANG_LS="--color=tty"
>    /bin/ls $OPTIONS_THAT_HANG_LS $i &&  \
>    echo "$i" >> /tmp/files_that_did_not_hang_ls.txt &
> done
>
> of course you'll have a bunch of ls's hanging when this is done.
> `killall -9 ls` them?
>
> /bin/ls > /tmp/wholedir.txt
> diff -u /tmp/files_that_did_not_hang_ls.txt \
>     /tmp/wholedir.txt | \
>     grep -e "+" >/tmp/trouble
>
> then for the files in /tmp/trouble (after looking to see if someone on
> this list does not pull a flamethrower on Todd for the suggestion)
> for i in $TROUBLEMAKERS
> do
>     #just ignore the problem
>     #chown root:root $i
>     #If that don't fix it, I am at a loss,
>     #or you are loosing hardware.
>     #
>     #try to figure out if it is a consistent user
>     # or group causing the problem.
>     #ls -ln $i
> done

Strangely the system hangs before displaying ANY files.  If it did a
few, it might be something I could nail down myself.

Now, I'm getting more and more sure that it's a user/group resolution
problem since the ls -ln option works in every case where both ls and ls
-l hang.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support