OT: Programming in C

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Apr 11 21:19:40 UTC 2008

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 15:27 -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
>> On Tuesday, Apr 8th 2008 at 13:39 -0000, quoth Les:
>>
>> =>On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 09:39 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
>> =>> max bianco wrote:
>> =>> > I want to learn C and I know there are quite a few programmers on this
>> =>> > list.  I am looking for a couple of good books on learning C. I am not
>> =>> > exactly a beginner but I am no expert and i would like to start going
>> =>> > over everything from scratch.
>>
>> One thing I've noticed over the years is that the majority of C coders out
>> there, no matter how good they are, never really master the ability to
>> composed and decompose complex declarations and references. I don't say
>> this in a perjorative fashion, but I see it a lot and it's important to be
>> able to distinguish between an array of pointers to integers and a pointer
>> to an array of integers, i.e.,
>>
>> int *foo[10];
>> int (*foo)[10];
>>
>> Going through K&R is standard, but this is a basic complaint I've had for
>> a long time.
>
> This comment reminded me of the fabulously useful little utility cdecl
> (and its cousin c++decl) which translates between the English
> description of a declaration in C (resp. C++) and the actual C (resp.
> C++) code itself.
>
> So I went to try them and discovered they weren't installed.
>
> So I went to install them and discovered that they are no longer in the
> repository.
>
> That's a shame.  Anyone know why they were dropped?

I found six places to D/L the "source" for cdecl, none of which will
compile on FC6 or FC8. I am going to try the sources from RH9 as soon as
I pull them off an old CD, if that doesn't work I will beat on the
sources I have, which I'm sure can be gotten working with minimal
effort, although they are all 1996 or 2001 versions.

If someone else finds a copy which compiles out of the box, let me know,
I can't seem to find the old Fedora source archives where my bookmark
leads me.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>