machine is freezing all the time, cannot do anything

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 23:15:29 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Antonio Olivares
<olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Memory Test passes, I ran it for 1 hour and a half, no
>  problems encountered memory is fine.  Machine just
>  freezes, it does not matter, if I run Fedora, Windows
>  or Slax.  All of them freeze.  Machine just stops,
>  Caps Lock light and Scroll Lock Light on keyboard
>  blink back and forth.  Today I gave it the ultimate
>  test, and it froze about 3 times during the day.  Do
>  not know what is wrong with the machine, maybe it is a
>  harware problem.

Certainly sounds like a hardware issue not a Fedora issue then. The
first thing that I would check (after memory) is the CPU fan. If that
gets burnt out or blocked with too much fuzz, the CPU gets hot and
either starts to scale back the speed or shuts right down completely.
Your freezes might be the CPU scaling back too far to do anything.
The second (third) thing would be the power supply. If those get weak
and can't supply enough power either due to age or overloading,
strange things occur then componnets are underpowered. Replace it with
something with more Wattage. It is a fairly cheap and easy fix.

Good luck

/Mike