New bug found (I think)

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Apr 12 19:21:18 UTC 2008

I use lots of things across systems, and have used the command:

	dos2unix <xxx.txt >temp.txt

for years to accomplish this task.  Well, imagine my surprise when it
failed to work today.  I don't know when dos2unix was last visited, but
it no longer works.  Its simple effect on Microsoft files was to change
the carriage return (^M) to linefeed (^j).  This time it passed the file
through unchanged.

I can write my own version in about 2 seconds, but I am curious why such
a simple and useful function acquired numerous flags and options, and
then broke.  This is a great example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix
it!"

Just for your information:

[lesh at localhost ~]$ ls -al /usr/bin/dos2unix
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 15868 2007-02-06 08:45 /usr/bin/dos2unix
[lesh at localhost ~]$ which dos2unix
/usr/bin/dos2unix
[lesh at localhost ~]$

	I have to admit I probably haven't used it locally since upgrading to
FC7 from FC5.

Regards,
Les H