OT: Programming in C

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 19:44:58 UTC 2008

fred smith wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 12:25:34PM -0400, max bianco wrote:
>> I want to learn C and I know there are quite a few programmers on this
>> list.  I am looking for a couple of good books on learning C. I am not
>> exactly a beginner but I am no expert and i would like to start going
>> over everything from scratch.  So if I could get some referrals to a
>> couple of books I would greatly appreciate it. I am looking for a good
>> thorough beginners guide to C and also something for the intermediate
>> programmer as I expect to get through the former in fairly short
>> order. I ultimately will be directing my efforts at kernel hacking. As
>> always , any advice and or opinion is gratefully received.
>>
>> Max
>
> Others have mentioned some good books to check out. Allow me to
> mention some to AVOID.
>
> I don't know if Herbert Schildt is still writing books on C, or if
> the older ones are still in print, but you'd be well-advised to avoid
> his books. He is a good writer, and he writes clearly, so that you'll
> understand what he says when he's done. Unfortunately, some of what
> he teaches (with considerable clarity) is wrong, either waaaay wrong,
> or worse, subtly wrong.
>
> i've never met the man, and I hope that if he sees this he doesn't
> take (too much) offense, but this opinion is widely held by people
> in the C community who I trust to be knowledgeable.

I guess he is as I saw a book titled the complete C reference by Herbert
Schildt. I immediately thought of your warning but I wasn't interested
anyway because it was a reference for C, C++, C# and that is not what I
was after. The books focusing on just C were suprisingly few at my local
bookstore. I was a little disappointed by the almost complete lack of
books on just C. There was no end to the C++ and C# books. I ended up
grabbing one by Stephen Kochan "Programming in C" off Amazon.

Max