fonts on a lcd monitor

Khoa Ton khoa at puresynergy.com
Sat Apr 12 21:19:16 UTC 2008

lostson wrote:
> On Friday 11 April 2008 05:26:03 pm Dean S. Messing wrote:
>> LostSon wrote:
>> :  I have recently gotten a 28 inch lcd monitor and fonts are not looking
>> : as crisp as I would like especially white text on a black background in a
>> : terminal for instance or with a transparent background. I am using a
>> : fully updated Fedora 8 install with a nvidia 7600GS graphics card using
>> : the livna nvidia drivers. The monitor I have is a HANNS-G hg281-D. I am
>> : looking for suggestions on how to make these fonts look better in this
>> : situation. I have the option
>> :
>> : Option "DPI" "96x96"
>> :
>> : set in my xorg.conf as suggested on the fedora forums and that has helped
>> : as far as the other text on the screen for instance the menu's and text
>> : in the gui's looks very good its seems to be just light text on dark
>> : backgrounds, thanks in advance for tips or tricks you may have.
>>
>> Have you checked that you are running the panel at its native
>> resolution (1920x1200, I think)? If not, then the card or the panel
>> has to scale the video data and this will ruin otherwise sharp fonts.
>>
>> Dean
>
>  Yes I am running at 1920x1200 but the effect is there anyway.

A couple of things to check:

1) Best image quality is achieved with DVI.  If you're using
    VGA with this monitor, try to get the best cable, especially
    for long lengths.

2) My Acer X241WSD has a similar problem in VGA input.  Though
    the computer (FC5) is configured for 1920x1200 in xorg.conf,
    somewhere to the monitor things get stuck on a lower resolution,
    causing the 1920x1200 image to be downscaled to 1600x1200,
    thus looking slightly fuzzy.  The 1920x1200 pixels are logically
    there in X, but the monitor's OSD shows 1600x1200.  Acer's
    customer support gave the standard Linux not supported line :-(

I'd be interested to know what resolution your monitor's OSD thinks its
running at.  I haven't found a solution to 2) yet, though...

Khoa