Installing FC8 fron USB stick

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Apr 13 15:14:53 UTC 2008

Ian Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the FC8 (x86_64) installation iso - Fedora-8-x86_64-DVD.iso.
> I want to install   FC8 on a machine without an optical drive.
>
> What I am thinking is:
>

> On first usb stick: (/dev/sdb1)
> dd if= diskboot.img of=/dev/sdb1
> and boot from this USB stick
>
> On second usb stick: (/dev/sdc1)
> dd if=/Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso of=/dev/sdc1
>
> And from the installation program which runs when booting from the
> first USB stick, I will choose : installation from disk
> and select /dev/sdc1.
>
> Now, this should work (I haven't try it yet).
>
> But my question is : can it be done in one shot?
>

> Namely, if I will run
> dd if=/Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso of=/dev/sdc1
> and try to boot from this stick  - will it work ? does isolinux support it ?
> and in case it does not - can anybody suggest how can it be done (if at all)
> in one shot?
>
> Regards,
> IB

A better way would be to use the diskboot.img It is designed to boot
off a USB stick. There was a thread about this a while ago, with a
pointer to a HOWTO page, but I could not find it. But if I remember
correctly, you can put the DVD image on the same USB stick as a
file, and point the installer to it.

Mikkel