Fedora 9: wifi on laptop not working.

Wink Saville wink at saville.com
Sun Apr 13 18:25:11 UTC 2008

I'm having trouble getting wifi to work on my hpzv5000 laptop.
It has a brodcom BCM4306 (rev 3). I've used b43-fwcutter to get
the lastest firmware and its in /lib/firmware/b43.

Looking at /var/log/messages b43 seems happy, previously it was
complaining that there was no firmware. Now its loading frimware
410.2160 (2007-05-26 15:32:10).

I do have these two message in the log after booting:

kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
NetworkManager: <info> Deactivating device wlan0.

Which doesn't look good.

When I try to use NetworkManager applet it doesn't present a
list of networks and when I Connect to Other Wireless Network
I see reasonable output in the log file but invariably I get:

NetworkManager: <info> wlan0: link timed out.

And it wants me to enter a "new secret", but it probably
the link is never up.

Also, this is a wpa2 network if that matters.

Any help appreciated:)

Wink Saville