USB devices dissapear: HAL shuts down on it's own

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Apr 14 17:09:51 UTC 2008

Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:25:46 -0500
> "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>
>> Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
>>> Hello, Everyone

snip

> Hello Mikkel
> 	I am not running a USB hub of any kind.  In fact, I have never
> ran one before.  The printer plugs into a socket that is on a PCI/USB
> expansion card. The other two devices are connected to two USB ports
> that connect directly to the motherboard.
> 	I just had a thought and I changed a few things around.  I
> plugged the scanner and the burner into the PCI expansion card, and
> plugged the printer into a port right by where I plug my USB keyboard
> into.  The thought was that the (probably) two problem devices have
> always been in the ports that connect directly to the motherboard.  It
> sure can't hurt to move them to different ports...
> 	This also might be of interest: I run a Abit KD7 motherboard
> and an Antec TrueBlue power supply (either 480 or 520 watts.  Can't
> remember off the top of my head.)

I have had two Antec power supplies fail on me.  In both cases the +5V
rail was going low.  In one case it took out my DVD burner.

The MB voltage monitor didn't show any problems but my digital volt
meter did.  On further investigation, I found that many people had the
same issues with Antec power supplies and even have a fix for the
problem online.

Take a digital volt meter and measure the voltages at one of the plugs
while the system is running.  Then load the system.

I was away for the weekend and just saw this.

--
Robin Laing