Before I spend hours screwing around with Mplayer and Xine -- some advice please ?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Apr 14 20:16:29 UTC 2008

William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I am running F8 and have downloaded and installed both Xine and Mplayer.
> Xine( and totem I suppose) keeps taking over as default.
>
> With previous Fedora versions I just uninstalled Xine to get Mplayer
> working, however this time I thought I might try to get Xine going.  The
> front end gui looks attractive and Firefox about: seems to be saying all
> the codecs are there.
>
> However, the first problem is there seems to be no Xine help
> documentation.  I am willing to do the exploratory work and climb the
> learning curve.  But before I begin and fruitlessly waste a lot of time,
> if anyone has some tips, hints or experience using one or the other of
> Xine or Mplayer, I would appreciate a short post.
>
> I know there is lots of info and previous posts on this subject, but
> before I even go there, is it worth it?  Or should I just eliminate Xine
> and use Mplayer?

I prefer mplayer/gmplayer myself but there are some files that just
refuse to play in mplayer.  This is where xine is nice.  I have tried
VLC but I like xine better as a backup.

I only added outside repositories to get it working the way I need.

What problems are you having?

I am having some issues between repositories but xine works.

--
Robin Laing