Before I spend hours screwing around with Mplayer and Xine -- some advice please ?

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 14 22:36:27 UTC 2008

Robin Laing wrote:
>> I know there is lots of info and previous posts on this subject, but
>> before I even go there, is it worth it?  Or should I just eliminate Xine
>> and use Mplayer?
I have both installed. both work. NCR {no configuration required}. In
fact I record DVB-T off-air shows to one PC's disk, and play them back
on another machine connected with curl-fuse-ftp, so network stuff works
find as well. To watch live TV I needed to generate a correct
channels.conf file.

If you want to play back ms media files you can add the w32 codecs, but
the base player it just works.

- the result of file whatever.mediaextension
- the result of mplayer whatever.mediaextension
are likely to be of use.

 >> I am running F8 and have downloaded and installed both Xine and
 >> Mplayer.
 From source ? from a repo ? once you have an appropriate repo setup,
it's just yum install xine mplayer {from memory}.

 >> Xine( and totem I suppose) keeps taking over as default.
Theoretically the system|preferences|personal|preferred applications
   multimedia|command=/usr/bin/gmplayer %s should be enough to do it,
but doesn't work for me. I right click the media file and open with mplayer.

DaveT.