Samba won't dance

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 23:59:29 UTC 2008

Claude Jones wrote:
> It's no longer funny
>
> Each release, I hope things improve...they don't
>
> I can run distro after distro, from live CD's or installations, and networking
> either just works, or is easily configured...PCLinuxOS, MEPIS, Ubuntu, and
> many more come to mind
>
> For years, Samba has not worked out of the box in Fedora, nor has it been easy
> to get working
>
> Somebody tell me I'm wrong - I'll gladly accept disdainful insults while
> prostrating myself in abject submission
> Ric, write me a lament...
>
> OK - what I want and what I've done:
>
> I have a home lan here, one Linux box and one Vista  and three XP machines.
> I have configured Samba using different tools, including the Redhat GUI-redux,
> the KDE Control Center GUI, Webmin's GUI, and have even looked at the
> smb.conf file. I want to simply share my home directory and the printer that
> is attached to this machine, and authentication mode is set that way, no user
> or domain authentication.
>
> On the firewall, I've allowed smb traffic on ports 137-139 and 445, and have
> also tried to make things work by turning firewalling off altogether using
> Firestarter, the simple GUI based configuration tool. I've confirmed the
> latter, that all traffic was being accepted after stopping the firewall, with
> the iptables --list command in a terminal
>
> I found some avc Selinux messages of this type:
>
> *********************
> SELinux has denied the samba daemon access to users' home directories. Someone
> is attempting to access your home directories via your samba daemon. If you
> only setup samba to share non-home directories, this probably signals a
> intrusion attempt. For more information on SELinux integration with samba,
> look at the samba_selinux man page. (man samba_selinux) Allowing AccessIf you
> want samba to share home directories you need to turn on the
> samba_enable_home_dirs boolean: "setsebool -P samba_enable_home_dirs=1"
>
> and this:

> files (/home/cj/.xsession-errors).
>
> *********************
> I tried running the suggested command in the first message, nothing changed. I
> just tried running the suggested command for the second message, but nothing
> has changed.
>
> What's happenning?
>>From my Vista machine, if I go to the network tab in Explorer, I get a
> display, sometimes, of all the other machines on the network - it comes and
> goes (I've heard of issues with Vista networking and haven't fully researched
> them so this may be that). When it does show the other machines, I can get to
> the XP machines that have shares, but if I click on my Linux box, I just get
> a can't connect error. On my Fedora box, if I type smb:/ in the Konqueror
> window, it shows me two networks (my laptop is configured to auto-connect to
> the domain at work so that's not surprising), but if I click on the home
> [...]

I have scrolled through and tried to read all the posts, there is alot
of info and maybe you covered this already I forget if I saw it in there
but I don't think anyone asked if the services required for Samba were
running? Yes it may sound like a dumb question and no I don't think your
stupid but it never hurts to make sure.  I believe its smb service and
nmb service.

Max