Samba won't dance (more info)

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Tue Apr 15 03:05:33 UTC 2008

On Mon April 14 2008, Craig White wrote:
> sounds like a networking issue...a bad hub/router/cable or something

something - the devil's in the details

> because if the PCLinux system picks up 4 systems and the Fedora machine
> only sees 1 and they're both polling the same broadcast address, then
> something is preventing it from working.

just got home (long day); so, I've swapped out the CAT5 cable - no change;
I went through each setting in smbk4 which also does some Samba settings
through its GUI on the PCLinuxOS box, which is still up and still able to
browse my LAN, and matched those settings on my Fedora box - then I rebooted,
and...drumroll here...............there's a CHANGE - now, my wife's laptop is
not showing it's IP address and its shares don't appear, but the studiopc
machine IS now showing its IP address (this is info in the smbk4 GUI window),
and revealing its shares - so the behavior has switched machines!

> You can ping each of these systems from the Fedora box?

just tried this and no, the machines that don't display their IP or show their
shares aren't responding to pings

> Take the cable connection from the PCLinux system and plug it into the
> Fedora system...that should tell you something.

like I said, I replaced the cable with a brand new one before trying all the
above

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA