Samba won't dance (more info)

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Tue Apr 15 16:43:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 12:33 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Tue April 15 2008, Craig White wrote:
> > nothing monumental sticks out but I would probably drop the SO_RECV and
> > SO_SND socket options unless you have specific knowledge of them being
> > of a benefit...
> >
> > http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/speed.html#id268
> >7166
> >
> > Craig
>
> I've fixed the ping problem. It turned out that studiopc which is running the
> Comodo firewall was treating the LAN as an untrusted zone. I changed that and
> ping is now working to that machine. Nothing else has changed as a result,
> but, my mount problem is probably unrelated. There are still those many
> questions. What changed between the configuration from the PCLinuxOS box and
> the one from Fedora that resulted in partially solving the problem? I still
> have a problem seeing anything on my Fedora box from the Windows machines,
> which I haven't mentioned before, since there was so much other stuff going
> on. This whole exercise was brought on by my wish to share my HP laser
> printer on my Fedora box with the Windows machines on the network. I've
> gotten it to work before, though not for a good long while now. None of my
> Windows boxes see the Fedora box right now, and therefore don't see the
> printer...
>
> Sidenote: I just brought up my F9 beta on the same box I had been running the
> PCLinuxOS cd on, and tried browsing the LAN with smbk4 - it finds nothing.
> Checked to see if the smb service was running and it was unrecognized. I'll
> pursue this later. I did open the new services window to see if I could turn
> on smb there before I checked from the command line, and it seemed to be
> informational only - no services that weren't running were shown, and there
> seemed to be no setting that would show available services and no way to turn
> on or off anything that was displayed...
>
> And, thanks for your help - I will take a look at that socket options stuff -
> those were just the default options that were set in the PCLinuxOS package...
----
the easy way to figure out if it's a Windows Name Resolution (WINS)
problem is to use IP addresses instead.

So if you're on your studiopc system...open an explorer window and type
the following in the address bar...

\\IP_ADDRESS_OF_FEDORA_BOX\SHARE

and it should either mount, require a logon, or reject you.

If using the name instead of the IP address behaves differently, you
have to fix the WINS issue

Craig