Samba won't dance (more info)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 15 16:53:41 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 15 April 2008 16:09:03 Claude Jones wrote:
> On Tue April 15 2008, Craig White wrote:
> > you don't actually expect people to parse that do you?
>
> I stated why I did it. I'm glad to do it your way. Here's the current:

Claude, I've been watching this thread because I've wrestled with samba so
often and been told that there is no problem, it must be me :-)  Here's my
suggestion.  Delete these lines from the Fedora version:

        ldap ssl = No
        restrict anonymous = no
        wins support = true
        max protocol = NT
        default service = global
        acl compatibility =
        server signing = Auto

You don't need them, and on one installation at least I remember that the last
line there was the cause of my problems.

Copy the contents of /etc/hosts into /etc/samba/lmhosts, re-start samba, leave
it a while, then try again.

FWIW, a while back I had a thread on the CentOS list about being unable to get
user mode working, and I found, as you did, that even after re-starting samba
it still didn't work - but then did a while later.  I've never heard a
convincing argument as to why that should be so.  HTH

Anne