iwl3945 improved: led now working!

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 16:58:18 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Frank Elsner <Frank.Elsner at tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 22:21:00 -0500 Paul Johnson wrote:
>  > In case you are avoiding iwl3945 because the LED light doesn't work,
>  > fear no more!
>  >
>  > I just started this Dell D820 Latitude with a new kernel that
>  > installed when I was not looking:  2.6.24.4-64.fc8
>  >
>  > Guess what?  The WIFI led is flashing!  I've not seen that since I
>  > stopped using the ipw3945 driver.
>  >
>  > Nice work.
>
>  Nice to hear/read.
>
>  And what about F7?
>
>  I've tried the 2.6.24.4-64.fc8 with my F7 system. LED goes on during boot
>  but network start fails constantly to determine an ip for wlan0 via dhcp.
>
>  --Frank Elsner

We've discussed connection troubles here.  Prominent, widespread
problem is that users have 2 services turned on that should be off.
The wpa_supplicant and network services should be off, and
NetworkManager should be on.

I was one of the people for whom wireless never worked and I
complained all the time.  Finally removing the wpa_supplicant service
was the key, and now I can connect to wireless dependably using the
nm-applet program.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science