Hosed Grub with the push of a button

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 13:41:05 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 8:30 AM, David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> max wrote:
>
> > I hosed grub. I need to fix it. I booted from fedora rescue. I chroot to
> /mnt/sysimage. All good. I tried :
> >
> > grub-install  /dev/sda
> >
> > The  file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly
> >
> > tried:
> >
> > grub-install /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> >
> > The file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly
> >

> > tried:
> >
> > cd /boot/grub
> >
> > cat stage1
> >
> > output maybe human readable by some humans but not this one.
> >
> > So far I can still see all the user files so I can backup and reinstall
> but that wouldn't teach me anything.
> > All suggestions/insults/how-to's welcome.
> >
>  How about using the grub bits that are on the rescue media, rather than on
> the hosed disk ?
>
>  ie exit from the chroot, and then grub-install wherever ?
>  {Or my memory might have faded ?}
>
>  DaveT.
>
>  --

I'm willing to try it but i'm not really sure what your suggesting.If
i exit from the chroot and grub-install how will it write to the
appropriate place? At this point all the user data is recoverable and
i'd like to keep it that way but if in the course of learning I hose
that too, well i'm willing to take the chance but i'd like to avoid it
if possible.

Also it seems thunderbird is firing of messages more than once, this
is the second or third time I have noticed this behavior, in other
instances it fires off incomplete drafts. That's a separate issue
though (when it rains it pours around here)so I will restrict my use
of it for now(going off topic in my own thread, how's that for silly).
Back to grub!!

Max