cdrdao Paranoia Issue

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Apr 16 14:44:31 UTC 2008

RGH wrote:

> I'm not sure what has changed and where here, but I thought I'd post
> this problem in case other people are experiencing it, or in case there
> is a bug somewhere that needs fixing.
>
> I make copies of a lot of my own CDs, for my own use. (Reason: They
> sound better, but only if you make them at low speed, e.g., 1X.) I have
> a script that does this for me, using cdrdao to read and write the CD.
> On upgrading to Fedora 8 (x64), I found that this script stopped
> working. The CDs got produced all right, but they had numerous errors
> that led to nasty digital "clicking" when they were played.
>
> After much trial and error, I found that the problem was the
> paranoia-mode being used by cdrdao. When reading CDs with the default
> paranoia-mode 3, I could never get two successive reads to give me the
> same .bin file; and while I could do so at paranoia-mode 1, the CDs
> would still have bad clicking. Only by setting paranoia-mode to 0 could
> I get the results to which I've been accustomed.
>
> So, well, now things do work, but I'm puzzled about what has changed.

I don't have a *solution*, but just for information does the cdda2wav
program from cdrecord have the same problem? Note: you may have to get
the real program, Fedora mislabels wodim as cdrecord, not making it
obvious that it's a fork, not the real cdrecord project.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>