launching an application from Nautilus

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Thu Apr 17 01:40:29 UTC 2008

HI, everyone,
	I have an application that is launched by a shell command that accepts
an application specific file as an argument to set up its environment
and actions.  What I want to do is click on the application specific
file and have nautilus call up the appropriate script with that
application as the argument.

	What I have done so far is to modify the script from being one per
application file to a generic one accepting an argument.  I have placed
it in a path directory and so now I can from the location of the
argument file launch it.  The application in this case is Croquet
Cobalt.

	My script for now is in a local directory called "bin".  And it works
from a terminal.  I can be in the Cobalt home directory and type the
command:

	cobalt.sh cobalt.1.image

	And the script runs, the Croquet environment as modified by Cobalt
comes up and life is good.

	There are other images, and I can call them up as well:

	cobalt.sh CrusoeWeb.image

	Same result.   Now I want to use Nautilus to call up the cobalt
environment when I click on a ".image" file.  So I pick a .image file in
nautilus, and edit the properties:

	>custom command
	Open with command:
		cobalt.sh
	Save it and check the properties and sure enough cobalt.sh appears
there.  However when I click on the designated image file, nothing
happens.

	No error message, no opening of the file, absolutely nothing.

	So, what have I done wrong, and its OK to think I'm stupid, I probably
overlooked something very dumb.

Regards,
Les H