udev or what?? how to set permissions for /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 05:02:19 UTC 2008

Hi, everybody:

Why does newish fedora not let users write on disks??

I was able to write dvd with k3b under F8 as it used to be, but my
system had not restarted in about 7 months.  When it restarted with
Fedora 8 kernel 2.6.24.4-64.fc8 and udev -118-1.fc8, then k3b said my
ordinary users, who are members of the "disk" group, could not write
on the dvd device.

Sure enough, permissions in /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1 were 640,

brw-r----- 1 root disk 11, 0 2008-04-16 22:38 sr0
brw-r----- 1 root disk 11, 1 2008-04-16 23:09 sr1

I manually set those to 660 (with chmod) and I can write on disks
again.  But those permissions keep getting set back, periodically, for
reasons I can't see.

Clearly, I'm not understanding some detail in configuration.

Does your answer depend on whether I have an internal disk writer or a
USB attached external disk writer?

Does your answer depend on whether I log in remotely or sit in front
of the computer?

If your answer depends, I'm logging in remotely and also this is an
external disk writer.  I believe that means I should not be messing
with ConsolePerms. Right?

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science