Am I blacklisted?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 14:52:10 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 07:24 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> |config changes,
> |> |>
> |> |
> |> |
> |is enabled.
> |> |

> |> I have found in certain situations, that Evo sometimes 'un-reads'
> |> messages before the user actually reads it, because new messages
> |> are the first message read on the current line, assuming of course
> |> that Evo is running and the account running idle.
> |
> |Would you care to rephrase that? I've read it several times and can't
> |figure out what you're trying to say. What do you mean by "the current
> |line"? What do you mean by "the account running idle"?
>
> Sorry for the confusion, I will try my best to explain the situation.
>
> When the account is running idle and when Evo/Exchange is left in it's
> state whatever it is in, it seems that every new incomming message is
> being marked as 'read'. It does not seem to matter where the current
> cursor is.  I note that using another client such as 'Outlook' or a
> 'IMAP Client' on another machine, almost all messages are being shown
> as 'read', which means all messages appear in normal text, non-bold.
>
> But going back into Evo on the linux machine, most messages appear to
> have dissapeared from the list, even if the filters are explicitly set
> to 'Show: All Messages', and 'View: Show Hidden Messages' are activated.
>
> You would not even know that new messages arrived and disappeared while
> your account was idled unless you looked in an Outlook client on Windoes
> which shows ALL messages read and unread. So clearly, there is a problem
> with the Evo client, it does not show all messages that have arrived since
> it has been running, is in complete synchronization with the Exchange server,
> and shows ALL messages read, unread, and unmolested reads.
>
> I also noticed that when Evo/Exch is NOT running, all these problems stop.
> I have two F8 systems and I tested both of them independently, and both
> appear to do the same thing when running and synchronizing with the
> Outlook Exchange Email Server: reading every email message as it comes in
> and messages appear for while in the list, but disappears on the next synch.
> AFAIK, I have not seen any option settings for Evo/Exchange to stop this problem.

It looks very much like the problem is with the Exchange plugin. In fact
I seem to remember recent traffic on the Evo list which sounds somewhat
like what you are experiencing, but since I don't use Exchange and don't
in fact know anyone who does (lucky me :-) I tend to just delete these
messages and move on with a few muttered curses about the amount of
bandwidth they take up.

You can find the Evo list at

poc

PS There is more than one Exchange plugin for Evo. Apparently a
third-party (but free) contribution called Brutus seems to work better,
though it requires more setup.