What the H!!! is going on with Yum

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 17 15:09:20 UTC 2008

On Thursday 17 April 2008, David Timms wrote:
>Todd Zullinger wrote:
>> Jim wrote:
>>> I wanted to remove and reinstall Alsa-* , but when I tell yum remove
>>> alsa it wanted to remove just about everything on the box as
>>> dependencies. It wanted to remove kde* and apps that had nothing to
>>> do with sound.  Theres got to be a problem with Yum. What gives?
>
>If you trace the dependencies {ie what yum does}, you will find the same.
>
>>> I had to use rpm -e -nodeps alsa-*
>
>yum from rawhide, has a new option: reinstall
>Only a couple of weeks until F9 is out, or a preview release real soon now.

I predict that will be pulled from rawhide and installed in older systems in
wholesale quantities.  That would be handier than bottled beer in disaster
recovery situations where you've recovered all your user stuff, but the icons
and links they represent weren't installed by a re-install and one is still
running down the loose ends of stuff that doesn't work.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)