low power tv

Tom Poe tompoe at fngi.net
Fri Apr 18 11:34:59 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Tom Poe wrote:
>
>> There's lots of activity when I type keywords, video conference
>> distance learning, but nothing at the no budget level, yet.  Seems
>> like there's going to be a server/client network description
>> someplace.  The server most likely has to have a way to manage
>> connections/cam screens, so what is that, distance learning
>> dashboard, or something?  I'm also thinking there may be requirement
>> for specialized video card/tuner card capability for handling video
>> feeds into the server.  Does that make sense?
>> Tom
>
> OK, I officially don't get it.
>
> At the beginning of the thread you started talking about the
> Nanostation2 and, I believe, for some reason lumped it in with TV.
> Nanostation2 is an 802.11bg CPE.  802.11 is the wireless standard used
> by all wireless access points.  There is no correlation with broadcast
> TV.
>
> If you want to "stream video" (not the same as broadcast TV) and your
> source is a video camera then you may need a video capture card that
> feeds the streaming software.  I've not done this in quite some
> time....but I think I remember feeding my TV card to mplayer and
> streaming it to my friend in his office so he could watch baseball
> games.  Now, I just use a slingbox as all I need is one-to-one.
>
> So, I'm really not sure of what you are wanting since I believe you
> have intertwined 2 questions when they are not connected.
>
> I think you are asking....
>
> 1.  How can I set up a wide area community wireless network (intranet).
>
> 2.  What is needed to stream video over #1.

Ed:  That's why you guys are the experts, and I'm down in the ditch with
the shovel.  :)  Thanks, much.

Some time ago, AT&T was doing stuff with video phones and vnc.  It was
like they had a high quality network set up inside a location, and
everyone was participating in a live, interactive tv show.  Then, a
couple years ago, that project moved out into the market, and I didn't
see the next level (my ignorance is showing) project that I expected to
replace it.

Nanostation2 takes a really big step to make an affordable community
wireless network (intranet) possible for non-techies like me to explore
and try out.

The streaming video is to me, old hat.  I want to use the switch to
digital transmissions coming in February of next year, to get everyone
on the community wireless network (intranet) to do the AT&T video phone
vnc thingy.
Tom