Samsung printer woes

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Apr 18 12:14:32 UTC 2008

> Now that thats out of the way, I installed the drivers and software
> nicely supplied by Samsung (unified linux drivers for mfp) which can
> only be installed by root. Root can't print- and is stopped by SELinux,
> and users can't print because the cups setup is root. Shouldn't this be
> simpler? Any thoughts on what I can do here?

It should. I've no idea why Samsung haven't submitted drivers to cups so
they were already present, and I've no idea why they've not tested them
in Fedora as you post implies.

You can turn SELinux checking off for specific applications. Thus you
lose protection against exploits via cups but can keep the rest of the
system secure.