low power tv

Tom Poe tompoe at fngi.net
Fri Apr 18 12:59:15 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 06:34 -0500, Tom Poe wrote:
>
>> I want to use the switch to digital transmissions coming in February
>> of next year, to get everyone on the community wireless network
>> (intranet) to do the AT&T video phone vnc thingy.
>>

> If you want more than a group of about five locals being able to do it,
> you need to put a lot of money into putting hardware everywhere, so that
> people could use it (that's access points everywhere outdoors, and base
> stations everywhere indoors), then a lot of money into education and
> marketing so that people can and will use it.
>
> The phone companies, et al, already do that.  It can't be done for free,
> it will cost lots of money (hardware, electricity, people), and as soon
> as you find someone able to invest the necessary money, they'll be doing
> so to make a return on their capital, just the same as the other
> organisations that you're hoping to avoid (making as much money out of
> it as they can).

Tim:  Have to agree with you on most of what you say.  So, I'm out in
the middle of the corn fields.  Our town is roughly 3 miles by 4 miles.
There's a population of less than 8,000.  Everyone can "see" the
nanostation2 from their homes.  The community wireless network is not
connected to the Internet.  So, let's assume everyone has a computer and
webcam.  Couldn't they use something like Ekiga, and participate in a
videoconference across that network?  I don't see where the
telcos/cablecos thugs have anything to do with it.  Do they?
Tom