Slightly <OT> Java using ipv6

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 20:57:24 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 09:12 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 21:08 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > Sorry for the noise, but I'm not getting releif anywhere else. I get
> > this java error when trying to use xvbf
> >
> > XRemote Window is enabled
> > _XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
> > _XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/iam.wayward4now.net:2
> > _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6
> > atomWmTransientFor = 68
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > Could not initialize remote window server
> >
> > I remember being advised on how to turn inet6 off for good, but now I
> > need it back on. <grins> Any Java Guru out there have a clue?? Ric
> ----
> please clarify if I misunderstand you because it looks like the other
> way around...
>
> that ipv6 is turned off on Fedora but your java software wants it on.
>
> While I would think that the above is just a 'NOTICE' type error and not
> at all important, if you want to turn ipv6 on, it's likely that all you
> need to do is...
>
> # cat /etc/sysconfig/network
> NETWORKING=yes
> NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
> HOSTNAME=cube
>
> but it's possible to disable ipv6 via older methods - i.e.
> in /etc/modprobe.conf
>
> watch for 'net-pf-10' entries because an 'off' there would also have
> shut it off.
>
> restart network daemon...good to go

Craig, if you were a bald man, I'd kiss the top of your head. You be da
Man! Worked like a charm. I think setting NETWORKING_IPV6=yes did the
trick. Not 100% sure, but it wasn't there to start with, so I added it
and I no longer get the error. I'm still not running X11 apps within
Wonderland, as it connects, gets approval then dies.
I see this:
+ .//Xvfb :3 -screen 0 1600x1200x24 -remwin +extension Composite
-fp /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc,/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi,/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1,/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi,/usr/share/X11/fonts/URW,/usr/share/X11/fonts/Speedo,/usr/share/X11/fonts/truetype,/usr/share/X11/fonts/uni:unscaled,/opt/kde3/share/fonts,/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType -co /usr/share/X11/rgb
XRemote Window is enabled
atomWmTransientFor = 68

Fatal server error:
Could not initialize remote window server

I'm wondering about that screen size, that is my entire desktop size,
but maybe that is referring to my entire desktop?? It didn't say a
helluva lot there. I'll examine the script for a debug option to turn
on. Thanks again!!!! Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar