Slightly <OT> Java using ipv6

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Apr 19 13:34:33 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 02:20 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 15:06 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> > > Craig, if you were a bald man, I'd kiss the top of your head. You be da
> > > Man! Worked like a charm. I think setting NETWORKING_IPV6=yes did the
> > > trick. Not 100% sure, but it wasn't there to start with, so I added it
> > > and I no longer get the error. I'm still not running X11 apps within
> > > Wonderland, as it connects, gets approval then dies.
> > > I see this:
> > > + .//Xvfb :3 -screen 0 1600x1200x24 -remwin +extension Composite
> > > -fp /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc,/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi,/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1,/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi,/usr/share/X11/fonts/URW,/usr/share/X11/fonts/Speedo,/usr/share/X11/fonts/truetype,/usr/share/X11/fonts/uni:unscaled,/opt/kde3/share/fonts,/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType -co /usr/share/X11/rgb
> > > XRemote Window is enabled
> > > atomWmTransientFor = 68
> > >
> > > Fatal server error:
> > > Could not initialize remote window server
> > >
> > > I'm wondering about that screen size, that is my entire desktop size,
> > > but maybe that is referring to my entire desktop?? It didn't say a
> > > helluva lot there. I'll examine the script for a debug option to turn
> > > on. Thanks again!!!! Ric
> > ----
> > I have no idea what you are doing but...
> > # ps aux|grep X
> > root      2411  1.4  4.2 126776 43644 tty7     Rs+  Apr14
> > 89:25 /usr/bin/X -br -nolisten tcp :0 vt7
> > -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-sMTEK0
> >
> > means that I am already running X, and using :0 (screen 0)
> >
> > Is your java stuff looking to connect to an existing X server at screen
> > 0 or create it's own X server at screen 0?
> No, it starts screen 1 then 2 then 3, etc.
> >
> > Generally, you have to enable it via xhost - you might want to see the
> > man page for xhost
> THAT is probably what it is. Damn. My frontal cortex isn't what it used
> to be.
>
> I used:
> [root at iam ~]# xhost +iam.wayward4now.net
> iam.wayward4now.net being added to access control list
> [root at iam ~]# xhost inet6:iam.wayward4now.net
> xhost: unable to get inet6 address for "iam.wayward4now.net"
>
> Oh boy. Getting closer. I did 'man xdm' as it was referenced by xhost
> man pages. It looks promising to set my domainname to be registered with
> inet6. But, my eyes are becoming crossed reading it. Think this might be
> the problem? It's gotta be a permissions thing somewhere between xhosts
> and whatever else ...something like xdm or gdm?? Many places to look,
> got a clue? Ric
----
do you have localhost for ipv6/inet6 in /etc/hosts?

# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost
::1             localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

Note the last line... ::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6... that
helps identify your computer. I often copy my hosts file from machine to
machine and machines that have only ipv4 addresses...this can be a
problem.

Craig