Increasing font rendering

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 14:55:14 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>  > he situation is better, but still far from what it was before: the way
>  > Firefox renders the fonts is rather mediocre. I have tried all
>  > suggestion that you gave me, but the progress is not perfect. Any
>  > further ideas? Regarding fonts everything was fine till I Installed
>  > msttcorefonts and rebooted.
>
>  Well, have you tried removing those fonts?  I've found some Microsoft
>  fonts to be rather poor looking.  Likewise if I've installed some other
>  fonts that didn't come with Linux.
>
>  Usually, we don't have them, and our browsers will use whatever font it
>  feels appropriate (which usually look good).  But if a webpage calls for
>  a crappy font, and you have it, it'll use it.
>
>  Some fonts seem designed to look good when used with certain types of
>  anti-aliasing techniques, and look bad when you don't have that type, or
>  none at all.  Other's seem quite good without any anti-aliasing, then
>  get smudgey if you try it.
>
>  I notice that the drivers for my NVidia card also add some anti-aliasing
>  and softening/sharpening options.  I haven't played with them much,
>  other than deliberately seeing how bad they can make things look.  There
>  could be other factors on your computer that are making fonts look bad
>  for you.
>
>  Generally, I find things look very good on Fedora with the defaults, a
>  bit better when I played with the font rendering options.  Firefox looks
>  a bit worse, but not staggeringly.  Likewise with Opera, it seems that
>  quite a few web browsers do their own font rendering, independently of
>  the system.  Medium weight fonts look a bit worse than normal or bold,
>  likewise with certain sizes.
>
>  They look a lot better on a CRT screen than LCD, and that's because the
>  LCDs are a lower resolution and unable to smooth across pixels in the
>  way that CRTs do naturally.

Thanks to all for your replies and patience. Tim's reply hinted to me
the solution: something was left on my system after 'yum remove
msttcorefonts'. Indeed, I still had msttcorefonts on my system (
learned that through 'locate andale' with a previous 'updatedb'). Now
that I have removed every trace of msttcorefonts, I see fonts rendered
with supreme quality on my LCD screen, even on Thunderbird and
Firefox.

Paul