F8 update kills KDE

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 19 19:24:15 UTC 2008

On Saturday 19 April 2008 20:02:14 Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Once Fedora 9 is released, you might like Gnome or
> XFCE better.  Time will tell.

Having been running rawhide on one box for a couple of weeks, I can confirm
that everything feels horribly strange.  Partly this is due to things still
being worked out, and partly due to the defaults being totally different from
what we are used to.  One comfort is that the classic style menu and
konqueror file manager are both there, for those of us that prefer to use
them.  To the best of my knowledge there are no plans to remove them.

I think it very likely that I'll be sticking to Mandriva on my laptop, purely
because it will have kde 3.5.9 and kde 4.0.1 in parallel.  I shall be able to
learn the new skills at my own pace, rather like dual-boot when you first
start using linux.

Anne