RHEC

Randy Easley REasley at Teleflora.com
Mon Apr 21 18:52:35 UTC 2008

 On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 21:24 -0400, max wrote:
> Randy Easley wrote:
> > To whom it may concern:
> >
> > I would like to begin a career as a red hat engineer. I have used
linux
> > for a few years and my company has decided to send me to red hat
> > classes.
> >
> > I wondering how to best prepare myself and get an early jump on a
new
> > life. I've thought of joining Fedora as a tester also.
> >
> > If anyone has been down this path or has just started, can you
please
> > direct me to some references and maybe a great way to get started
for
> > the red hat exams?

------------------------------

We have some huge figures in the Linux world here. Maybe they will chime
in and add their two cents on how to position yourself using OpenSource
to make a buck. It would be a very enlightening thread. There's probably
a ton of ways to make coin from servicing linux. How list members do it,
would be interesting as heck, as long as they don't mind sharing. I wish
I was at the point I could hire a code monkey that knew his chops! :)
Ric

------------------------------
Thanks for the great responses Max, Ric, etc.

It's not so much making the almighty dollar, but gaining value. The
money will come. I want to invest in an Open Source project(s) that has
tremendous impact in the business world. I'm not asking to be "the guy"
but at least be part of the team. I want to be sure there is a high
demand for the preparation I'm about to endure. I hear I will have to
study my arse off and may go blind. ;)

That is why I'd like to begin some small projects to get under my belt.
Gain experience while accepting the higher learning in preparation for a
very large project. I currently have a great box who pretty good in
*nix. He runs a very successful website. (www.hyabusa.org if you want to
check it out)
And is challenging me to advance my knowledge and allow the company to
pick up the tab! It's a GREAT start, but I still feel very lost when
looking for a linux "major."  Will graphics be the future? Linux
Desktop?

Sharing a thread about creative linux business sounds fantastic! I'd
love to hear the stories...

Randy