low power tv

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Apr 21 19:36:20 UTC 2008

g wrote:

> Tom Poe wrote:
>> www.ubnt.com offers Nanostation2 "radio" that creates wireless cloud up
>> to 15 kilometers.  That sounds like the perfect way to broadcast live
>> interactive tv shows (think neighborhood videoconferencing).  Anyone
>> doing this with Fedora operating system and whatever other software needed?
>
> not to put a damper on your 'find', but;
>
> in u.s.a. there is what is know as 'fcc', in england, i believe it is postal
> service, that have regulations regarding 'power output' and range.
>
> i would check further before getting hope up too high.

Clearly you didn't look at the web page, which lists the FCC approvals.

But this is not a TV transmitter, it is an alternative to WiMax for
middle range network connections, over which you could run any of the
streaming protocols. Fedora supports receiving them, presumable it can
send as well.

I suggest going to slashdot and searching for intel+wifi and look at the
distances and bandwidth they got out of cheap WiFi and some antennae and
software fixes. I don't know if you would find it useful, but you should
know about it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>