Firefox, flash, web page: Who's fault?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Mon Apr 21 21:13:42 UTC 2008

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:53:05 -0400 (EDT)
vicki at thepenguin.org wrote:

> I see this too. It is frustrating. I don't see it in IE or in Firefox on a
> windows box. If you disable flash, the dropdown menus work fine. The
> answer I always got was that the flash code is wrong. I would love to have
> a more complete answer that would allow me to get it fixed. In at least
> one instance, I am in a position to get the flash code modified.

After doing enough searches on the firefox bugzilla site, I found
a lot of similar reports over there. Most of them seem to claim it
is a web page problem and point to a flash knowledge base entry that
says specifying wmode to be transparent or opaque on the embed tag
will make flash run in the same window rather than a separate window.

Unfortunately, checking several sites where I see this bug, I do
in fact see an "opaque" wmode tag, yet the menus still come out
under the flash content.

I think all the components involved believe it is a bug in a different
component :-).

Personally, I suspect the best fix would be for firefox to always
implement popups such as menus as separate windows and force them to the
top of the stack, then it wouldn't matter what the heck the plugins
did (except maybe for plugins that constantly forced themselves
to the top of the stack as well :-).