Wireless access and the keyring

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 16:54:45 UTC 2008

Some may have read about my recent discovery of the Dell Media Direct
Button, if not read the thread "Hosed Grub with the push of a button "
for a chuckle. The laptop is back in good working order now. The only
hitch is that it attempts to connect to the access point before the
user is prompted to unlock the keyring. So what I do is, immediately
upon logging in, disable the wireless connection.  I am then prompted
to unlock the keyring a few moments later and then i reenable wireless
and select the proper access point and presto connected, otherwise it
fails to connect then you unlock the keyring and you get prompted for
the password to the access point anyway and wonder why the keyring
failed.  A simple workaround for the user until I can find the time to
tinker with it myself. More of an FYI than anything else in case
someone runs into something similar and subsequently as so often
happens blames the network manager or some other innocent service or
program. It seems to be more a question of the order in which things
load at startup than anything else.

Max