low power tv

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Apr 23 20:20:24 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:
> g wrote:
>
>> also, you should have a look at part 15.??? that it refers to.
>
> I am not sure what your obsession is with FCC part 15 is.  If you look
> at almost any manual for a Wifi Access Point you'll find a reference to
> the device being tested and in compliance with the FCC part 15
> regulations.  My DLink even goes so far as to explain "These limits are
> designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference
> in a residential installation......".
>
> However, you probably should be less glib in your assertion that no town
> approval are required.

I'm pretty comfortable in the "operation" end not needing town approval,
clearly whoever the owner of the tower is must permit installation, and
I read the location as being in open country, where you have your own
water tower so you don't have to pump the well to flush the john, so I
may have overlooked that requirement.

 > I seem to recall the OP saying the intention is
> to mount it on a water tower.  Also, the device being mounted is going
> to be supplying a service and the town may have regulations in this
> area...sometimes call an ordinance.  Many towns have tons of ordinances
> that include things like how your sidewalk must be maintained, how your
> tree branches can extend over another's property, how high your flag
> pole is and if your kids can set up a lemon aide stand.

IANAL but I have a hard time believing that a town would try to block
otherwise lawful low power radio, or would be able to write a law which
didn't include WiFi and garage door openers. If the service is a
"business" which charges for a service it provides, business laws come
in (again you point out a possible problem), but if everyone buys their
own and just agrees on use... it would be like all getting CB radios and
agreeing to talk on a channel, or all connect to a chat room. A really
bad law could cover mailing lists as well, and there are more bad
lawyers than house flies in some places.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>