Preserving home partition on install?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Apr 23 23:24:45 UTC 2008

Les Howell wrote:

> */Manuel Aróstegui <manuel at todo-linux.com>/* wrote:
>

>     On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 11:00 -0400, Mr.John wrote:
>      > Hello,
>      > I am currently running fedora, but want to reinstall from a live
>      > image. I have /home set up as a second ext3 partition. My question is
>      > will I be able to install fresh into / and keep my data on /home? I
>      > would like to continue using my user directory after the update if
>      > that is possible. Are there any important considerations, like not
>      > re-using the previous user name? I just don't want to find out too
>      > late that the installer blanks /home!
>      >
>      > Thanks,
>      > John
>      >

>     During the install process you can specify what /home partition to use,
>     and whether you want to format it or not.
>
>     Manuel.
>
>     --
>
> I just installed F8, but didn't see that as an option, as a result I had
> to reload the full home.  It took quite a while.  If that option is
> available, it is not clear from the screens.

As someone else already said, you have to select the "custom disk
layout" option, specify which partition was /home and tell the system
to NOT format it.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
-              just very picky of who its friends are!               -