openldap + kmail

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Apr 24 02:56:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 22:07 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 14:35 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> > > I've seen many discussions of this,
> > > but never seen an actual example of an ldap address book
> > > working with KDE kontact/kaddressbook.
> > ----
> > the client (in your Kaddressbook/Kontact) is probably the meaningless
> > part because OpenLDAP provides LDAPv3 services to any LDAPv3 client (v2
> > is possible too but not allowed by default).
> > ----

> > > I'm no expert in openldap,
> > > but I don't see why kaddressbook doesn't use the LDAP DN
> > > specified in the KAddressBook->LDAP Lookup
> > > when creating the LDIF.
> > >
> > > Or at least it could ask you what DNs you want to use.
> > ----
> > I suppose that you could put in an RFE
> > ----

> > > That's more or less exactly what I do.
> > > But I don't think it should be necessary.
> > ----
> > LDAP does...it's entirely rigid about this too.
> > ----

> > > Is it possible to do that?
> > > Could you be a bit more specific please?
> > > I thought one needed to include the host
> > > (ou=People,dc=www,dc=xyz,dc=com in my case)?
> > ----
> > OK, say you have slapd.conf
> > and in the database section, you have...
> >
> > database        bdb
> > suffix          "dc=www,dc=xyz,dc=com"
> >
> > and in your ACL's, you have something like
> >
> > access to dn.subtree="dc=www,dc=xyz,dc=com"
> >         by * write
> > access to dn.subtree="ou=People,dc=www,dc=xyz,dc=com"
> >         by * write
> > access to dn.subtree="ou=AddressBook,ou=People,dc=www,dc=xyz,dc=com"
> >         by * write
> >
> > you're pretty much good to go.
> >
> > Now, import a simple little ldif that creates the AddressBook ou
> >
> > dn: ou=People,dc=www,dc=xyz,dc=com
> > objectClass: organizationalUnit
> > ou: People
> >
> > dn: ou=AddressBook,ou=People,dc=www,dc=xyz,dc=com
> > objectClass: organizationalUnit
> > ou: AddressBook
> >
> > import it and you're good to go
> >
> > Why do I get the feeling that you never bought the Gerald Carter book I
> > told you to buy?
>
> Thanks Craig! You just saved me twenty bucks! <cackles> Ric
----
the last laugh is on you...you have to maintain it

personally, I would have just gone with...

ou=AddressBook,dc=xyz,dc=com

for a simple shared addressbook just to minimize the typing.

because ou=People,dc=xyz,dc=com is where I would put authentication
accounts. I do also put users own personal LDAP AddressBooks under their
account info though but now we are getting way afield of simple LDAP
address book.

To be honest though, I am quite sure that openldap.org has a simple
address book setup in their - yep...

but more importantly...buy the damn book and spend the $20...it will
learn ya good.

Craig