Text mode browser with javascript for Fedora 8 - suggestions?

Andras Simon szajmi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 12:57:44 UTC 2008

On 4/24/08, Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> Are there any text mode browsers with javascript support in the Fedora
> repositories?

I don't know of any such thing.

> It would be really useful to have such a beast for configuring my
> router via an ssh login to my home system.  It would save opening up
> the router's web interface to the outside world.

You don't need to. If you can ssh into your box, you can probably also
do ssh -ND 3333 me at my.home.box

and then

Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Network -> (Connection) Settings ->
Manual proxy configuration
HTTP Proxy: localhost
Port: 3333

in Firefox. (There's nothing special about port no. 3333.)

After this, all FF requests will (seem to) originate from your home
box.

Of course, if you're sitting at a machine with X on it, you can also
just use the FF on your home box.

Something else you can perhaps do: I don't know about your router, but
mine (Linksys WRT54GL) also can't be accessed without a JavaScript
enabled browser. But, on closer inspection, it turned out that the JS
is only there to scare you; by looking at what it did, it was easy to
write a script that can be used to control the router from the
commandline.

Andras