Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 23:20:45 UTC 2008

Daniele Guazzoni wrote:

>> Yes, but... I still have a couple of machines running RH 7.3 that have
>> never crashed and one of which had a 4+ year uptime run.  I don't
>> think fedora is likely to match that.
>>
> Well, if I want a stable system I'm likely not using Fedora.

But how do you get 'your' components developed to match the system
without one or the other lagging far behind?

> The Fedora project was clearly declared a "cutting-edge" so don't expect
> 100% stability or compatibility.

That's not a problem in early development of your 'next' version.  The
problem is that there is no longer a graceful way to get from that
bleeding edge you wanted to test to the final version you want to keep
running until the next major change.

> My last DNS was running on OpenBSD 2.1 for over 7 years, with a short
> downtime to swap a disk.

Upgrading DNS - or not - isn't a problem since it doesn't involve
anything particularly version-specific.  Try something like a complex
web site in mod_perl or java where you don't want to stay too far behind
the new features but you also have to work around incompatibilities at
version upgrades.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com